[dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements

St Leger, Jim jim.st.leger at intel.com
Tue Sep 22 09:14:48 CEST 2015

I am going to host a community call on Thursday Sept 24 at 7:00am Pacific daylight time.  The conference call dial-in info via GoToMeeting is pasted below.  Here is the background and objective of the discussion.

The DPDK community continues to grow.  Here are some stats on the 2.1 release from August 17th:
=> 827 commits. A growth of ~50% over the 2.0 release.
=> 82 individual committers. A growth of ~33% over the 2.0 release.
The number of companies contributing has also continued to grow.

There is a strong desire to continue to grow and solidify the community. But the growth brings up the question of how the community is structured to scale.   Additionally, there are many private DPDK repositories across the industry (e.g. ARM ports, for example.)  There are a myriad of reasons why companies have elected to keep their DPDK code and ports private versus put them into the DPDK.org community. We as a community need to understand and explore these reasons and work towards enabling inclusion.

During this gathering I'd like to bring together the DPDK community including:
a) the DPDK code contributors,
b) the consumers of DPDK downstream (VNF vendors, etc.),
c) private branch DPDK creators/consumers, and
d) anyone else interested in the growth and future of the DPDK open source software project.

The call will focus on two topics:

1)    Structure for growth:

Do we have the community practices, policies, and procedures in place to allow us to continue to grow on our current trajectory?

2)    Gaps Limiting Participation:

What gaps do companies who would like to participate/contribute to DPDK.org see?

What changes would they like to see made to improve the project?

I hope people can attend AND that they will join and speak up and be heard. The success and growth of the community depends on YOU!

Thanks,
Jim
DPDK Community Call

Thu, Sep 24, 2015 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM GMT Daylight Time
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/766709085

You can also dial in using your phone.

Access Code: 766-709-085
Dial-in phone numbers