[dpdk-dev] newbie dpdk linux interfaces clarification

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Sep 29 13:12:08 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 09:12:36PM +0100, Pedro Sousa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at dpdk the first time, so I would like someone could clarify
> me a little more about it.
>
> I'm using a KVM Virtualized Guest that runs CentOS 7.1. I'm using SRIOV
> with bnx2x driver. When I bind my interface, as you can see below, to DPKD
> Driver igb_uio, I lose the interface control in linux.
>
> My question is:
>
> - Can use it normally on the operating system and how this is done?

Unfortunately not. An interface is either being used by the operating system
or by userspace (DPDK). It cannot be used by both at the same time.

> - Can I use it only on my app? And if so, how do I bind an ip from this
> dpdk interface to my app?

An IP address implies the presence of an IP stack. The DPDK libraries work
just on ethernet frames, and it's up to your app to provide an IP stack, and
therefore an IP address if it needs one.

Hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

Regards,
/Bruce