[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/4] Use Google Test as DPDK unit test framework

Remy Horton remy.horton at intel.com
Wed Aug 3 11:16:53 CEST 2016

On 02/08/2016 22:52, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2016-08-02 21:37, Declan Doherty:
[..]
> You are not advocating but the unit test must be written in C++.
> I don't think it is a good idea to force people to write and maintain the tests
> in a different language than the code it tests.

In principle I agree, but in practice I don't see any alternative. All
the purely C-based frameworks I've (independently of Declan) tried don't
have the same flexibility as the C++ ones.

> It would be interesting to better describe in details what is missing currently
> and what such a framework can bring.
> (I agree there is a huge room for improvements on unit tests)

 From my own perspective, mocking of functions is the main thing that is
missing. When testing KeepAlive this allowed me to reroute rte_malloc()
calls to the OS malloc() rather than having to startup/teardown the
hugepage subsystem.

..Remy