[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] FDir flex filters on XL710/i40e NICs with the new filter API

Paul Emmerich emmericp at net.in.tum.de
Fri Aug 19 18:39:14 CEST 2016

Hi,

I've an update and work-around for this issue that we encountered in
DPDK >= 2.2. (See original email below)
Cross-posting to dev since this seems to be a bug in the i40e driver.

We are trying to set a filter matching on the following conditions while
ignoring all other header fields.

1. Packet is a UDP packet
2. Bytes 42 and 43 of the payload are a specific value

The first condition is optional, a filter that just matches on the
payload bytes of arbitrary packets is fine as well.

So we set all fdir masks to ignore everything except for the payload
bytes and then add a filter that just specifies the payload bytes.

We got the following results with ixgbe:

Old filter API, DPDK  < 2.2:
everything works fine

New filter API, DPDK >= 2.2:
The "packet is a UDP packet" condition stops working if we do not also
filter for the ports, i.e., flow_type = RTE_ETH_FLOW_NONFRAG_IPV4_UDP
does not work as expected.

flow_type = RTE_ETH_FLOW_IPV4 does work.
We are fine with this as we assume that it improves compatibility.

The real problem is the i40e driver.

Setting flow_type to anything other RTE_ETH_FLOW_NONFRAG_IPV4_UDP
doesn't match any packets (the packets we are trying to match are
actually UDP packets). I guess that's okay, but inconsistent with the
ixgbe driver that does accept RTE_ETH_FLOW_IPV4 as well.

The actual problem is that we have to explicitly specify IP addresses
and ports in the filter, *despite setting masks to ignore them*.

Is this a bug? Or are we using something wrong? (The filter API doesn't
seem to be very well documented)

  Paul

Paul Emmerich: