[dpdk-dev] No packets received if burst is too small in rte_eth_rx_burst

tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be
Sat Dec 17 11:43:25 CET 2016

Hi,

Your comments made me saw the line "PMD: i40e_set_rx_function(): Vector rx enabled, please make sure RX burst size no less than 4 (port=0)."

The problem was probably that I was under this limit... Is there a way to get that limit through a function or something?

With 16.04 I received sometimes 5 or 7 packets with a burst_size of 4 which respects this limit. I see that "[dpdk-dev] net/i40e: fix out-of-bounds writes during vector Rx" fixed that, as the limit was in fact 32 no matter the message.

At the end, what should be the minimal rx burst size? How to find it at runtime for any NIC? I imagine that vector rx will create a problem if I give a burst size of 1 even with a recent DPDK version, right?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Barbette
PhD Student @ Université de Liège