[dpdk-dev] examples/vhost: how to use vhost-switch between VMs? Anybody who can help?

wang.yong19 at zte.com.cn wang.yong19 at zte.com.cn
Tue Dec 27 06:33:14 CET 2016

  There are some descriptions in
dpdk-16.11\doc\guides\sample_app_ug\vhost.rst,
"The sample application performs simple packet switching between virtual
machines based on Media Access Control (MAC) address or Virtual Local Area

Network (VLAN) tag." So, we want to use vhost-switch between two VMs, one
work as server and another as client.
  We runned the vhost-switch sample in a VM with three virtio ports.
First, we
binded one virtio port to igb_uio. Then we runned the command
"./vhost-switch -c f -n 4 --socket-mem 1024 -- --socket-file /tmp/sock0
¨C-vm2vm 1 ¨C-dequeue-zero-copy"
And then error occured. We found that the 'dev_info.max_vmdq_pools' of the
virtio
port was 0, and division by zero error occured at the statement
'queues_per_pool = dev_info.vmdq_queue_num / dev_info.max_vmdq_pools;'
We fixed this by assigning 'queues_per_pool' to 0 if
'dev_info.max_vmdq_pools'
was 0, but there were still other errors when running vhost-switch.
  After we fixed all the errors while running vhost-switch as server, we
didn't
know how to run the vhost-switch as client in another VM, how could the
client
get the socket, the netdev and the virtio port that the server
vhost-switch
created?
  So, we doubted whether we use the vhost-switch in a wrong way. Could you
please give us some advice that how to use the vhost-switch between two or
more
 VMs?
  Anybody who can help us with this?