[dpdk-dev] vm_power_manager uses channel_commands.h which is not placed in installed copy of DPDK

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 09:29:44 CET 2016

On 02/14/2016 01:38 AM, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a peculiarity in the vm_power_manager example on DPDK 2.2 if you use an installed copy of DPDK to compile the examples instead of the master copy (while trying to update some outdated stuff in my build system).
>
> mhall at mvs-01:~/dpdk/examples/vm_power_manager$ fgrep -ir channel_commands *.{c,h}
> channel_manager.c:#include "channel_commands.h"
> channel_monitor.c:#include "channel_commands.h"
> vm_power_cli.c:#include "channel_commands.h"
> channel_manager.h:#include "channel_commands.h"
>
> It appears a bunch of these files are trying to pull in this special header from here:
>
> /home/mhall/src/sdn_sensor/external/dpdk/lib/librte_power/channel_commands.h
>
> However this file is never copied into the include directions in the installed copy. So this example fails to build.
>
> Did anybody run into this before?

Yes, the problem exists at least since DPDK 2.1 but somehow never
remembered to report / do something about it.

Basically either vm_power_manager example is messing with things its not
supposed to, or librte_power library isn't exporting everything needed
to fully use the it. Unfortunately both the library and the example are
lacking a maintainer :-/

	- Panu -