[dpdk-dev] Future Direction for rte_eth_stats_get()

David Harton (dharton) dharton at cisco.com
Wed Jan 20 18:18:31 CET 2016

I see that some of the rte_eth_stats have been marked deprecated in 2.2 that are returned by rte_eth_stats_get().  Applications that utilize any number of device types rely on functions like this one to debug I/O issues.

Is there a reason the stats have been deprecated?  Why not keep the stats in line with the standard linux practices such as rtnl_link_stats64?

Note, using rte_eth_xstats_get() does not help for this particular scenario because a common binary API is needed to communicate through various layers and also provide a consistent view/meaning to users.  The xstats is excellent for debugging device specific scenarios but can't help in scenarios where a static view is expected.

Thanks,
Dave