[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] fixing weird termio issues that complicate debugging

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Thu Jan 21 04:53:24 CET 2016

On 1/20/16 8:26 AM, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> One problem is a number of people wanted to steal the code and use in a paid application, so the copyright is some what a requirement. As you may know I do a lot of debugging on Pktgen and I feel they are a nuisance. I can try to see if we can clean up these messages, but do not hold your breath on getting them to be removed.

Understood, I am just providing some usability feedback from the
community. Any cleanup, however partial it may be for other reasons,
will personally aid me in simplicity of debugging and using the pktgen
to find performance improvements in other community applications and
DPDK itself, which is my true end goal here. In particular I need it for
all the changes I posted at various points for librte_lpm so I can test
all this stuff to make sure it really works.

> IMO most of the information from DPDK is not very useful as why do I need to see every lcore line, plus a lot of more useless information. Most of the information could be reduced a couple of lines or only report issues not just a bunch of useless information.

DPDK's messages might not be helpful for you, but in my case, the
temporary hostile modifications I made based on the writeup sent
previously, in order to make these messages visible again, is what
allowed me to find and fix the root causes of my inactive port issues,
because I have been working with DPDK's messages since 2011 and am very
familiar with what they mean inside DPDK itself, so they were the only
UI of Pktgen familiar to me at all compared to the rest which is custom
stuff I didn't use before.

> The screen init should be scrolling the information off the screen to preserve that info, unless it was changed by mistake.

I found a lot of info is being overwritten or lost due to the complex
sequence of all these calls. This is what led to my email of questions
for you.

> Please use tab stop of 4 instead of 8. IMO tab stop of 8 is so 1970’s and we should not need tab stop of 8 as any system today will work. :-)

OK. But do note that this convention is different from every other
project I've coded on before.

Sincerely,
Matthew.