[dpdk-dev] Future Direction for rte_eth_stats_get()

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Fri Jan 22 21:48:51 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 06:02:24PM +0300, Igor Ryzhov wrote:
> How about exposing stats according to IF-MIB?
>
> Statistics to be exposed are - octets, unicast packets, multicast packets,
> broadcast packets, errors and discards for both TX and RX.
>
> These counters are basic and implemented by most of drivers.

To be a bit more specific it would be good to have IF-MIB ifTable with the
items from ifXTable as well:

ifIndex
ifMtu
ifHighSpeed
ifPromiscuousMode
ifPhysAddress
ifConnectorPresent

ifHCInOctets
ifHCInUcastPkts
ifHCInMulticastPkts
ifHCInBroadcastPkts
ifInDiscards
ifInErrors
ifInUnknownProtos

ifHCOutOctets
ifHCOutUcastPkts
ifHCOutMulticastPkts
ifHCOutBroadcastPkts
ifOutDiscards
ifOutErrors

A number of things are missing or weird in the DPDK stats interface. Then I
get stuck trying to maintain them in my app instead and it's annoying.

Also, it is nice to get the struct populated atomically so the values are as
self-consistent as possible. If you have to call a function separately on each
stat it makes them self-inconsistent because it is less atomically populated.

>From long experience, this inconsistency is quite annoying when trying to make
very accurate traffic measurements in network management software.

Matthew.