[dpdk-dev] Help: How to read packet statistics from device registers via dpdk PMD?

Jay Rolette rolette at infinite.io
Tue Jul 5 14:03:52 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Bill Bonaparte <programme110 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi:
> I am a new fish, I have tried my best to find answer about my question on
> web, but I failed. so
> I come here to ask for your help. the below is my question:
>
> I found that dpdk provides a api rte_eth_stats_get to read packet
> statistics about the interface, includes total input/output
> unicast/multicast/brodcast packets/bytes. but the api does not work on
> VMxnet interface (which is a virtual interface in VMware machine).

Probably something in your app or environment rather than in the API
itself. We run rte_eth_stats_get() against interfaces in VMware Fusion,
VirtualBox and real hardware and they all work generally.

Need some info before anyone can help you much:

* What version of DPDK are you running?
* What OS are you running on?
* Output from "dpdk_nic_bind.py --status"?

Jay