[dpdk-dev] DPDK on Xen maintenance

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Wed Jul 20 18:51:56 CEST 2016

2016-07-13 10:30, Jan Blunck:
> On Di, 2016-07-12 at 11:34 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are facing some issues with Xen dom0.
> > Some were fixed in RC2:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/043760.html
> > and there still have some other issues.
> >
> > It seems Xen is becoming less attractive:
> > 	- we do not have a lot of test reports or feedbacks
> > 	- there is no maintainer for DPDK on Xen
> > 	- we are still waiting for the Xen netfront PMD
>
> Although progress is slow I'm still working on upstreaming the Xen
> netfront PMD. I will continue to maintain it afterwards of course.

OK thanks for the update.
So you are working on using DPDK in Domu.

It seems that nobody is interested in using DPDK in Dom0.
There is still a bug in 16.07:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/044207.html

> > I wonder wether it still makes sense to maintain this code or not?
> > In case of positive reply, it would be nice to have the name of
> > someone responsible for this code, i.e. a maintainer.

Given that we have no feedback on Xen Dom0, no maintainer, some bugs,
and it makes memory allocation improvements harder,
it sounds reasonnable to drop this code.