[dpdk-dev] RFC: DPDK Long Term Support

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:39:40 CEST 2016

On 7 June 2016 at 08:36, Christian Ehrhardt <
christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Mcnamara, John <john.mcnamara at intel.com>
> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > LTS Version
> > ------------
> >
> > The proposed initial LTS version will be DPDK 16.07. The next versions,
> > based
> > on a 2 year cycle, will be DPDK 18.08, 20.08, etc.
> >

> I can see on the discussions that much more things around this have to be
> discussed and agreed, but to some extend we will also just "have to wait
> and see" how things work out.
> I fully agree to the API change argument to start with 16.07 and the 2 year
> cycle (more would be nice, but this means effort and after a while almost
> nothing is "easily" backportable).
>
> Never the less I have to ask - as I'd be personally much more happy if it
> would be the odd years autumn release that would make the LTS as it would
> match our LTS releases much much better.
> Otherwise we (Ubuntu) will always "just miss" the LTS by a few months.
> First I'd have thought on xx.02 releases, but consuming applications might
> need time to adapt and while there are the nice API/ABI guarantees
> experience tells me to better leave some kind of time-buffer.
>
> Also this would give all of us a first shot with a shorter (not so long as
> in L) LTS to see if the process we defined works out before jumping on a
> full 2 year cadence.
>
> So while I see that this is kind of "my problem" I would at least try to
> personally ask and vote for LTS being: 16.7, 17.11, 19.11, 21.11, ...
>
> Christian Ehrhardt
> Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
> Canonical Ltd

+1 For DPDK LTS being:

16.7, 17.11, 19.11, 21.11, ...

This way, DPDK LTS 17.11 will be part of Ubuntu LTS 18.04... DPDK LTS 19.11
on Ubuntu LTS 20.04...

Very likely that DPDK LTS 16.07 will be available to Ubuntu 16.04 via
Ubuntu Cloud Archive Newton.

Cheers!
Thiago