[dpdk-dev] Question regarding mempool changes impact to XEN PMD

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jun 13 09:34:51 CEST 2016

Hi David,
it seems to be the first time I compiled with
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_PMD_XENVIRT=y sinec the bigger mempool changes around
"587d684d doc: update release notes about mempool allocation".

I've seen related patch to mempool / xen in that regard "c042ba20 mempool:
rework support of Xen dom0"

But with above config symbol enabled I got:
drivers/net/xenvirt/rte_xen_lib.c: In function ‘grant_gntalloc_mbuf_pool’:
drivers/net/xenvirt/rte_xen_lib.c:440:69: error: ‘struct rte_mempool’ has
no member named ‘elt_va_start’
  if (snprintf(val_str, sizeof(val_str), "%"PRIxPTR,
(uintptr_t)mpool->elt_va_start) == -1)
                                                                     ^
  SYMLINK-FILE include/rte_eth_bond.h
mk/internal/rte.compile-pre.mk:126: recipe for target 'rte_xen_lib.o' failed
make[4]: *** [rte_xen_lib.o] Error 1

The change around the mempools is complex, so I don't see on the first look
if that needs a minor or major rework in the xen sources.
I mean I don't want it to compile, but to work and that could be more than
just fixing that changed structure :-)

So I wanted to ask if you as author would see if it is a trivial change
that has to be made?

Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd