[dpdk-dev] Duplicate config symbols

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Mon Jun 13 18:55:09 CEST 2016

2016-06-13 17:09, Christian Ehrhardt:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 2016-06-13 13:50, Christian Ehrhardt:
> > > I wondered multiple times now when changing a config symbol that some of
> > > them are in the .config file multiple times.
> > > I totally feel like I'm overlooking something, but still it might be
> > worth
> > > to ask.
> > [...]
> > > Is there any reason to do so or is this an issue in make config?
> >
> > It is an issue in "make config" which has never been considered important.
>
> I didn't want to make it more important :-)
> I'm fine with the second occurrence overwriting as it did a while now and
> knowing it is not a totally unknown issue.

Being a known issue doesn't mean we should not fix it ;)

> I had seen the old argument for not moving them out completely in the old
> thread - thanks for the link - that was important to understand why they
> are still there.
> Also found related patches from Keith about that now.

There were not enough strong opinions or consensus to move them.

> > We could remove the first - overridden - occurences.
> > I think it can be fixed in mk/rte.sdkconfig.mk.
>
> You mean just filtering them eventually while keeping them where they are
> so that the old request to have "the base config shows all config options"
> still fulfilled - yeah that could be an approach to make everybody happy.

I would say it is not really related. We may decide any defconfig hierarchy,
and there still will be some cases where values are overriden.

> But then it would make for some evil unreadable sed or such, I could live
> with it as is knowing it is accepted as-is.
> I'll submit an RFC, but hope for someone with more dark magic to make it
> nicer.

There is an awk command in mk/rte.app.mk which could give you some ideas.