[dpdk-dev] enic in passhtrough mode tx drops

Ruth Christen RuthC at Radware.com
Thu Jun 16 15:13:02 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I'm running a vm attached to 2 cisco Virtual Card Interfaces in passthrough mode in a cisco UCS. The vNICs are configured on access mode without VLAN ID.

The incoming packets are arriving with 802.1q header containing vlan priority bit according to the class of service configured on the vNIC. I understood this is expected from a fiber channel Ethernet card.

According to dpdk documentation there's a need to set the VLAN_STRIP_OFFLOAD flag and call rte_eth_dev_set_vlan_offload on the ports.

If I run a simple l2fwd application where the same packet received in one port is sent through the other the traffic works ok.

If I generate the packets in my vm and send them out traffic doesn't work. (I tried send the traffic out with/without a 802.1q header with priority bit)

Is there a specific configuration to be added to the mbuff for the tx packets generated in the VM? Could be the vlan_tci/ ol_flags/ or any other missing flag set?

Does somebody know the exact behavior of the enic card with the priority tagging?

BTW in virtio mode the traffic works in both the flows.

Thanks a lot!