[dpdk-dev] xstats performance

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Wed Jun 29 18:40:08 CEST 2016

2016-06-29 17:03, Remy Horton:
> On 29/06/2016 16:38, Olivier MATZ wrote:
> > And assume that the id field in rte_eth_xstat corresponds to
> > the index in the rte_eth_xstat_name table?
>
> It was an assumption I wanted to avoid setting in stone, even though at
> the moment it is actually true in implementation.
>
> The mappings are driver-specific but I wanted to leave open, amoung
> other things, the possibility of string-id mappings being standardised
> across all drivers. For that to work drivers would have to be able to
> use a set of ids that may contain gaps.

I don't think it is possible to standardize stats ids, for two reasons:
- it is hard to maintain and avoid conflicts between drivers
- the drivers would have to lookup the names which degrades performance

I think the idea of Olivier would improve the performance of stats retrieval,
which was the idea of this rework :)
Unfortunately we need someone available to fix it quickly for RC2.