[dpdk-dev] Kernel NIC Interface and SO_TIMESTAMPING/PTP Hardware Clock

Ralf Grosse Boerger ralfgb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:36:51 CET 2016

Hi,

I am planning to use a PTP Daemon (http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/) on a
Ethernet port that is used by the DPDK.
The kernel NIC interface should allow me to pass PTP frame from/to the
Linux Ethernet interface (via rte_kni_tx_burst() and rte_kni_rx_burst()).

But the PTP daemon also requires SO_TIMESTAMPING/PTP Hardware Clock-API of the
Linux Ethernet device.
If I start the ptp4l daemon on a KNI device (for example vEth0_0) I
get an error that the hardware timestamping mode is not supported.

Can anyone point me to the relevant source files of the KNI driver
that need to be modified to add HW timestamping and PHC support to a
KNI device?
(I am using an Intel i210 card).

Thanks in advance
 Ralf