[dpdk-dev] Reg: promiscuous mode on VF

bharath paulraj bharathpaul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:00:29 CET 2016

Hi Team,

    We are facing an issue when we are trying to implement Layer 2 bridging
functionality over the Virtual function.

*Requirement:*
    We need to create four VMs and each VM should run in promiscuous mode
for a specific VLAN, so that it can receive packets for that VLAN and all
the unicast MAC address irrespective of its (VF) mac address. In other
words, the packet classification should be based on VLAN only. Each VM has
to use SRIOV enabled with VF interface (NIC Controller used here is Intel
82599)

*Problem Description:*
    Facing issues while enabling promiscuous mode in virtual function. We
have seen many mail threads about promiscuous mode not working on VF.

*Questions:*
    1) Is it possible to enable promiscuous mode on virtual function?
    2) Is the above supported for 82599 controller? If it is supported in
the NIC, please provide the steps to enable.
    3) If it is enabled, then VLAN should be the only classifier to
determine the packets fate to reach the VM. Is it possible to do the
classification based on the VLAN alone?

Thanks,
Bharath Paulraj