[dpdk-dev] Reg: promiscuous mode on VF

Qiu, Michael michael.qiu at intel.com
Tue Mar 22 07:39:40 CET 2016

Yes, we could let ovs using 82599 VF to do rx/tx. I don't know what's
your l2 bridge, but since ovs could work I think your bridge also could
work. But I only tested with one VF.

Make sure below two patches (bifurcate driver) are included in your kernel:

_https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/476511/_
_https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/476516/_

Mostly, if your kernel version in 4.2 or newer, it should be included.

After you create VF, before you passthrough the VF to guest:

(vf +1) << 32 + queue-index,

 1. where vf is the VF index starting from 0
 2. the queue-index is 0 if multi-queue support is not turned on, and
    this value is [0,1] if multiple-queue is turned on

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:05\:00.0/sriov_numvfs
ifconfig $(PF_INTF) up
ifconfig $(VF0_INFT) up
ip link set $(PF_INTF) promisc on
ethtool -K $(PF_INTF) ntuple on
ethtool -N $(PF_INTF) flow-type udp4 dst-port 4789 action 0x100000000
(VF0 queue 0)

Here we using flow director to all let packets according to the rules to
the VF, But I don't know if it could let the packets to other VFs at the
same time.

Thanks,
Michael