[dpdk-dev] DPDK and HW offloads

Qiu, Michael michael.qiu at intel.com
Wed Mar 23 03:47:35 CET 2016

On 3/22/2016 6:20 PM, Richardson, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:50:28AM +0000, Qiu, Michael wrote:
>> On 3/21/2016 11:27 PM, Kyle Larose wrote:

>>> What sort of requirements on ABI/API compatibility would this place on
>>> the drivers? I would hope that it would be treated like any other
>>> public API within DPDK. I don't think this would be too onerous, but
>>> it would require that the drivers be designed to deal with it. (I.e.
>>> don't just expose any old internal driver function).
>> Why not to implement one simple API with variable arguments, just like
>> syscall ioctl() does. And drivers implement it's specific hardware
>> features with a feature bit param, and other needed variable arguments.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
> A very much dislike that idea.
> * It makes the code much harder to read as you have to closely examine all the
>   parameters to work out what a function call is actually meant to do.

It's not a big deal, if we have a document.

> * It makes it much harder to see that you have an implicit dependency on a
>   specific device. Having to include a driver specific header file e.g. i40e.h,
>   and call a function named e.g. i40e_do_magic_stuff(), makes it pretty explicit
>   that you have a dependency on i40e-based hardware

Software does not want to bind to specific hardware I think, what about
the transportability?

> * It prevents the compiler from doing type-checking on parameters and informing
>   you of little inconsistencies.

Maybe, we could do self-check for the parameters I think.

> For all these reasons, I prefer the device-specific functions option. However,
> at the same time, we also need to ensure we have a reasonable set of generic
> APIs so that the cases where users are forced to drop down to the lower-level
> device-specific primitives are reduced.

For software, it do not care which hardware it is, it only cares about
what ability you have.

Thanks,
Michael