[dpdk-dev] Fwd: Rx Error when two pktgen sending packet to each other at the same time on Intel 82599ES 10G

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Fri May 6 20:51:11 CEST 2016

>Hi,
>
>I am doing experiments about packet classification algorithm and I found I
>always get RX Error when the throughput is too high, so I did the following
>experiments.
>
>There are two PC servers (A and B), each of them has a Intel 82599ES 10G
>with two ports(1 and 2). And they are connected to each other. I simply run
>pktgen on both server.
>
>When I start one of the server and let it generate 10Gb/s traffic each
>port, which is start A1 and A2. I can receive the 10Gb/s traffic on the
>other server's every port.
>
>When I start one port of the two servers and let them generate 10Gb/s
>traffic to each other, which is start A1 and B1. Both the port show that
>they can receive 10Gb/s and send 10Gb/s traffic.
>
>But When I start both port on both server, which is start A1, A2, B1, B2,
>each port shows it can generate 10Gb/s but it can only receive 6.7Gb/s
>traffic and the left 3.3Gb/s are considered RX Error.
>
>When I stop one of the ports, which is start A1, B1, B2, On server A I
>receive 8.1Gb/s on A1, 8.4Gb/s on A2, while A1 is sending 10Gb/s traffic,
>the traffic left is considered RX Error. I receive 10Gb/s traffic on B1,
>sending 10Gb/s traffic on B1 and B2.
>
>My parameter is -c 0xff -n 4 -- -P -m "[1:2].0, [3:4].1", but it won't
>change when I assign more lcore on RX queue.

Are the cores 1, 2, 3, 4 on different physical cores each or do they share a physical core?

One of the issues is the PCI bus on some NICs has a bottle neck on the bus and limits the amount of traffic for a given NIC. This could be your problem, but I do not know if these NICs have that problem.

>I'm thinking it maybe is the parameter problem, such as the Hugepage or
>others, is there any solution or advices?

Regards,
Keith