[dpdk-dev] Ring PMD: why are stats counters atomic?

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Mon May 16 15:16:33 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 03:12:10PM +0200, Mauricio Vásquez wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> Although having this support does not harm anyone, I am not convinced that
> it is useful, mainly because there exists the single-thread limitation in
> other PMDs. Then, if an application has to use different kind of NICs (i.e,
> different PMDs) it has to implement the locking strategies. On the other
> hand, if an application  only uses rte_rings, it could just use the
> rte_ring library.
>
> Thanks, Mauricio V

I agree.
If you want, please submit a patch to remove this behaviour and see
if anyone objects to it. If there are no objections, I have no problem accepting
the patch.

However, since this is a behaviour change to existing functionality, we may
need to implement function versionning for this for ABI compatibility. Please
take that into account when drafting any patch.

Regards,
/Bruce