[dpdk-dev] Suggestions for the dpdk stable tree

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Mon May 23 04:21:57 CEST 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 02:49:31PM +0000, Mcnamara, John wrote:
> [...]

I didn't notice this thread, otherwise, I would have commented earlier:
TBH, I have also thought of LTS tree few months before. But I was thinking,
hmm, it's just a library, what's the big deal of maintaining a stable
tree for it. I then hide it deep inside of my mind, silently.

> We have been looking at identifying a maintainer and validation engineer internally to support the effort but haven't be able to finalize that. Once we do we will come back to the mailing list with a proposal and a request for comments.

I would nominate myself as the LTS tree maintainer, if it makes sense
to have one.

> We would probably be looking at 16.04 or even 16.07 as the basis for the LTS at this stage.

Just one opinion from the view of vhost: since 16.07 is a vhost ABI/API
refactoring release, I'd suggest to base on 16.07, and then we could
have less conflicts to apply later bug fix patches.

However, I'm very open to choose any others as the base, say, even v2.2.

	--yliu