[dpdk-dev] [ovs-dev] If 1 KVM Guest loads the virtio-pci, on top of dpdkvhostuser OVS socket interface, it slows down everything!

Bodireddy, Bhanuprakash bhanuprakash.bodireddy at intel.com
Mon May 30 18:44:55 CEST 2016

From: Martinx - ジェームズ [mailto:thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 5:01 PM
To: Bodireddy, Bhanuprakash <bhanuprakash.bodireddy at intel.com>
Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] If 1 KVM Guest loads the virtio-pci, on top of dpdkvhostuser OVS socket interface, it slows down everything!

Hello Bhanu,

 I'm a little bit confused, you said that the problem can be fixed but, later, you also said that:

 "On a Multi VM setup even with the above patch applied, one might see aggregate throughput difference when vNIC is bind to igb_uio vs virtio-pci"...

 My idea is to use OVS with DPDK in a multi-vm environment but, based on your answer, this is not possible, because the VM A, can interfere with VM B... Is that true even with that patch applied, can you confirm this?

[BHANU] With the patch applied the issue should be fixed.  Without the patch,  VM A can interfere with VM B when VM A isn’t processing its queues which eventually triggers vhost send retries until timeout (100ms in this case). This cause the pmd thread to slow down and that affects the other Virtual Machines(VM B) on the host as happened in your case. The patch that I pointed will remove the retry logic completely.

Also in your case, packets are sent to the idle VM (no packets drained from the virt queues inside) which triggered the issue and affected the neighboring VMs. consider sending the traffic to the newly booted VM after the forwarding is enabled inside the guest.

 I don't think that diverting the traffic from a VM that loaded virtio-pci drivers is a doable solution (since you can't predict what the owners of the VMs will be doing), also, specially because in my env, the DPDK App is a L2 bridge, so, it receives traffic that is not destined to it (might be even harder to try to do this)...

 I have all the required hardware to keep testing this, so, let me know when you guys (Intel / Canonical) have newer versions, I'll test it with pleasure!   :-)
[BHANU] Apply the patch from the thread and this should resolve the issue reported.

Thanks!
Thiago