[dpdk-dev] Running 2 process on the same machine

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon Nov 7 23:36:37 CET 2016

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 7:28 AM, Keren Hochman <keren.hochman at lightcyber.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I need to run 2 process that uses dpdk on the same machine. One uses dpdk
> drivers, and the other just read from a pcap file.  If I disable hugepages
> in the second process rte_mempool_create fails. What is the correct way to
> handle this?

If you look at the two scripts in Pktgen pktgen-master.sh and pktgen-slave.sh these two scripts setup two instances of pktgen on the same machine. Plus you can read the README.md file.

http://dpdk.org/browse/apps/pktgen-dpdk/refs/

You have to make sure you have enough memory (huge pages) allocated for both instances to run.

Then use —file-prefix XX to give each instance a different prefix for the huge page files in /dev/hugepages if that is the location of the files on your system. I would remove any files in that directory to free up the memory.

Use the —socket-mem to allocate the correct amount of memory for each instances this way DPDK does not consume all the pages for a given instance.

Make sure you blacklist the ports you do not want on the first instance using -b option and then blacklist the ports from the first instance while allowing the other ports to be used on the second one.

That should do it for most cases.

> Thanks, Keren

Regards,
Keith