[dpdk-dev] pmdinfogen issues: cross compilation for ARM fails with older host compiler

Jan Viktorin viktorin at rehivetech.com
Fri Nov 11 14:48:51 CET 2016

Hello all,

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:34:39 +0000
Hemant Agrawal <hemant.agrawal at nxp.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>                Pmdinfogen compiles with host compiler. It usages rte_byteorder.h of the target platform.

This seems wierd to me... why is it so? I couldn't find any usage of rte_byteorder.h in the source of pmdinfogen
(what am I missing?). Why is it included there?

The pmdinfogen executes on the host but works with the (cross-compiled) target binaries. Is that right? If the tool
needs to know endianity then we probably need a header telling just the target's endianity (or other metadata).

> However, if the host compiler is older than 4.8, it will be an issue during cross compilation for some platforms.
> e.g. if we are compiling on x86 host for ARM, x86 host compiler will not understand the arm asm instructions.

This is not the actual issue. Consider an ARM build server that cross-compiles DPDK for Intel x86 (I admit that this
is quite a ridiculous situation, so take it easy ;)). Then we have just opposite issues... Would we like to fill the
DPDK x86 code base with #ifdef...#endif everytime there is some assembly code? I'd just like to point out that this
single instruction is not the true source of the problem. It is like complaining that nasm cannot compile Thumb2
instructions... No it cannot, sorry.

> /* fix missing __builtin_bswap16 for gcc older then 4.8 */
> #if !(__GNUC__ > 4 || (__GNUC__ == 4 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 8))
> static inline uint16_t rte_arch_bswap16(uint16_t _x)
> {
>                register uint16_t x = _x;
>                asm volatile ("rev16 %0,%1"
>                                     : "=r" (x)
>                                     : "r" (x)
>                                     );
>                return x;
> }
> #endif
>
> One easy solution is that we add compiler platform check in this code section of rte_byteorder.h
> e.g
> #if !(defined __arm__ || defined __aarch64__)
> static inline uint16_t rte_arch_bswap16(uint16_t _x)
> {
>                return (_x >> 8) | ((_x << 8) & 0xff00);
> }
> #else ….
>
> Is there a better way to fix it?

In my opinion, this would work as a hotfix but not as a solution.

Kind regards
Jan

--
   Jan Viktorin                  E-mail: Viktorin at RehiveTech.com
   System Architect              Web:    www.RehiveTech.com