[dpdk-dev] Proposal for a new Committer model

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 15:01:44 CET 2016

On 11/23/2016 1:48 PM, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:56:23PM +0000, Ferruh Yigit wrote:

>>> Ok, thats good, but that must be _very_ new.  Looking at your git tree, I see no
>>> merge commits.  How are you pulling from those subtrees?
>>
>> next-net tree is active for last three releases.
>>
> What!?  What is the purpose of holding patches in a subtree for multiple
> releases?

:) Of course not holding them in the sub-tree.

Briefly, process is:
- sub-tree gets patches during merge window
- sub-tree first merged into main tree in -rc1 and later in -r2

next-net tree is actively in use for last three releases, and driver/net
patches delegated to this tree. You can see different commiters in main
tree.

> If a given changeset isn't ready for merge to Thomas tree the people
> working on it should clone the subtree to some place they can all collaborate on
> it.  Once it goes into a subtree there needs to be a defined workflow to get it
> into the canonical tree that Thomas maintains on a regular, short time frame.
> to do less is to confuse the process for everyone involved, and slow people
> down, rather than accelerate their work.
>
>> I guess following is the first commit to the sub-tree:
>> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-February/032580.html
>>
>> sub-trees rebase on top of main tree regularly, that is why there is no
>> merge commit.
>>
> I'm not asking about merge commits in the sub-tree, I'm asking about merge
> commits in thomas's tree.

Same, talking about Thomas' tree.

>  There should be a merge commit every time he pulls
> from a sub-tree (unless its a fast-forward I think, but with multiple subtrees
> and commits going to thomas directly, that should never really happen).

That is what happening. Since sub-tree's rebase on top of main tree,
when Thomas merges, it is just plain fast-forward. So it is allowed to
re-write to history in sub-trees.