[dpdk-dev] dpdk/vpp and cross-version migration for vhost

Kevin Traynor ktraynor at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 10:30:49 CET 2016

On 11/24/2016 06:31 AM, Yuanhan Liu wrote:

>>> I see. I was more considering about the case when the dst
>>> host (including the qemu and dpdk combo) is given, and
>>> then determine whether it will be a successfull migration
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> And you are asking that we need to know which host could
>>> be a good candidate before starting the migration. In such
>>> case, we indeed need some inputs from both the qemu and
>>> vhost-user backend.
>>>
>>> For DPDK, I think it could be simple, just as you said, it
>>> could be either a tiny script, or even a macro defined in
>>> the source code file (we extend it every time we add a
>>> new feature) to let the libvirt to read it. Or something
>>> else.
>>
>> There's the issue of APIs that tweak features as Maxime
>> suggested.
>
> Yes, it's a good point.
>
>> Maybe the only thing to do is to deprecate it,
>
> Looks like so.
>
>> but I feel some way for application to pass info into
>> guest might be benefitial.
>
> The two APIs are just for tweaking feature bits DPDK supports before
> any device got connected. It's another way to disable some features
> (the another obvious way is to through QEMU command lines).
>
> IMO, it's bit handy only in a case like: we have bunch of VMs. Instead
> of disabling something though qemu one by one, we could disable it
> once in DPDK.
>
> But I doubt the useful of it. It's only used in DPDK's vhost example
> after all. Nor is it used in vhost pmd, neither is it used in OVS.

rte_vhost_feature_disable() is currently used in OVS, lib/netdev-dpdk.c

netdev_dpdk_vhost_class_init(void)
{
    static struct ovsthread_once once = OVSTHREAD_ONCE_INITIALIZER;

    /* This function can be called for different classes.  The
initialization
     * needs to be done only once */
    if (ovsthread_once_start(&once)) {
        rte_vhost_driver_callback_register(&virtio_net_device_ops);
        rte_vhost_feature_disable(1ULL << VIRTIO_NET_F_HOST_TSO4