[dpdk-dev] OpenSSL libcrypto PMD name

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Mon Oct 10 13:36:37 CEST 2016

Hi,

I would like to raise a naming issue in crypto.

In the crypto side of DPDK, we have a library (similar to ethdev)
for crypto API and device interface:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_cryptodev
There are also some drivers (which are some libraries):
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/crypto
Most of them (6/8) are some DPDK wrappers for external libraries.

Recently was introduced the libcrypto PMD which is a wrapper for
the OpenSSL libcrypto.
As we already have a lot of crypto libraries, I'm afraid the name
libcrypto is really confusing. Why not call it openssl PMD?

PS: I know OpenSSL has 2 libraries - ssl and crypto - but I do not
expect any high-level SSL feature in a crypto driver.
So drivers/crypto/openssl should not be confusing.