[dpdk-dev] mlx5 vxlan match filter vni endianness

Legacy, Allain Allain.Legacy at windriver.com
Wed Apr 5 22:23:35 CEST 2017

Hi,
None of the comments in the rte_flow.h file (or the programmers guide) specify what endianness should be applied to spec/mask fields.  Based on the testing I have done so far using a CX4 device (mlx5 driver) fields like VLAN ID and UDP ports are expected in network byte order.  There seems to be a discrepancy with how VXLAN VNI values are expected; at least for this one driver.  Matching only works on VNI if it is specified in host byte order.

/**
* RTE_FLOW_ITEM_TYPE_VXLAN.
*
* Matches a VXLAN header (RFC 7348).
*/
struct rte_flow_item_vxlan {
                uint8_t flags; /**< Normally 0x08 (I flag). */
                uint8_t rsvd0[3]; /**< Reserved, normally 0x000000. */
                uint8_t vni[3]; /**< VXLAN identifier. */
                uint8_t rsvd1; /**< Reserved, normally 0x00. */ };

I have not done any testing on an i40e device yet, but looking at the i40e_flow.c code it looks like that driver expects to receive the VNI in network byte order:

                                if (vxlan_spec && vxlan_mask && !is_vni_masked) {
                                                /* If there's vxlan */
                                                rte_memcpy(((uint8_t *)&tenant_id_be + 1),
                                                                   vxlan_spec->vni, 3);
                                                filter->tenant_id = rte_be_to_cpu_32(tenant_id_be);
                                                if (!o_eth_spec && !o_eth_mask &&

Can you confirm whether the mlx5_flow.c behavior is a bug or whether my understand is incorrect?

Regards,
Allain

Allain Legacy, Software Developer, Wind River
direct 613.270.2279  fax 613.492.7870 skype allain.legacy
350 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 200, Ottawa, Ontario, K2K 2W5