[dpdk-dev] [PATCH] doc: fix enic NIC guide syntax and copyright
johndale at cisco.com
Thu Apr 27 02:52:42 CEST 2017
Fixes: 211f9a9ce2f0 ("enic: add guide")
Signed-off-by: John Daley <johndale at cisco.com>
doc/guides/nics/enic.rst | 43 +++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------
1 file changed, 25 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)
diff --git a/doc/guides/nics/enic.rst b/doc/guides/nics/enic.rst
index f744151f5..89a301585 100644
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
.. BSD LICENSE
- Copyright (c) 2015, Cisco Systems, Inc.
+ Copyright (c) 2017, Cisco Systems, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
@@ -71,9 +71,9 @@ Configuration information
- The number of RQs configured in the vNIC should be greater or
equal to *twice* the value of the expected nb_rx_q parameter in
- the call to rte_eth_dev_configure(). With the addition of rx
+ the call to rte_eth_dev_configure(). With the addition of Rx
scatter, a pair of RQs on the vnic is needed for each receive
- queue used by DPDK, even if rx scatter is not being used.
+ queue used by DPDK, even if Rx scatter is not being used.
Having a vNIC with only 1 RQ is not a valid configuration, and
will fail with an error message.
@@ -99,7 +99,7 @@ Configuration information
gives the application the greatest amount of flexibility in its
- - *Note*: Since the introduction of rx scatter, for performance
+ - *Note*: Since the introduction of Rx scatter, for performance
reasons, this PMD uses two RQs on the vNIC per receive queue in
DPDK. One RQ holds descriptors for the start of a packet the
second RQ holds the descriptors for the rest of the fragments of
@@ -135,7 +135,7 @@ of the server.
With advanced filters, perfect matching of all fields of IPv4, IPv6 headers
as well as TCP, UDP and SCTP L4 headers is available through flow director.
-Masking of these feilds for partial match is also supported.
+Masking of these fields for partial match is also supported.
Without advanced filter support, the flow director is limited to IPv4
perfect filtering of the 5-tuple with no masking of fields supported.
@@ -190,7 +190,7 @@ Alternatively, the configuration can be done in a separate file using the
``network`` keyword. These methods are described in the libvirt documentation for
`Network XML format <https://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html>`_.
-When the VM instance is started, the enic KVM driver will bind the host VF to
+When the VM instance is started, the ENIC KVM driver will bind the host VF to
vfio, complete provisioning on the FI and bring up the link.
@@ -251,22 +251,24 @@ Limitations
to Fabric Interconnects. It is not on standalone C-Series servers.
- VF devices are not usable directly from the host. They can only be used
as assigned devices on VM instances.
- - Currently, unbind of the enic kernel mode driver 'enic' on the VM instance
- may hang. As a workaround, enic.ko should blacklisted or removed from the
- boot process.
+ - Currently, unbind of the ENIC kernel mode driver 'enic.ko' on the VM
+ instance may hang. As a workaround, enic.ko should blacklisted or removed
+ from the boot process.
- pci_generic cannot be used as the uio module in the VM. igb_uio or
vfio in non-IOMMU mode can be used.
- The number of RQs in UCSM dynamic vNIC configurations must be at least 2.
- The number of SR-IOV devices is limited to 256. Components on target system
might limit this number to fewer than 256.
+How to build the suite
-How to build the suite?
-The build instructions for the DPDK suite should be followed. By default
-the ENIC PMD library will be built into the DPDK library.
+Refer to the document :ref:`compiling and testing a PMD for a NIC
+<pmd_build_and_test>` for details.
+By default the ENIC PMD library will be built into the DPDK library.
-For configuring and using UIO and VFIO frameworks, please refer the
+For configuring and using UIO and VFIO frameworks, please refer to the
documentation that comes with DPDK suite.
Supported Cisco VIC adapters
@@ -288,11 +290,13 @@ ENIC PMD supports all recent generations of Cisco VIC adapters including:
Supported Operating Systems
Any Linux distribution fulfilling the conditions described in Dependencies
section of DPDK documentation.
- Unicast, multicast and broadcast transmission and reception
- Receive queue polling
- Port Hardware Statistics
@@ -310,8 +314,9 @@ Supported features
- MTU update
- SR-IOV on UCS managed servers connected to Fabric Interconnects.
-Known bugs and Unsupported features in this release
+Known bugs and unsupported features in this release
- Signature or flex byte based flow direction
- Drop feature of flow direction
- VLAN based flow direction
@@ -322,6 +327,7 @@ Known bugs and Unsupported features in this release
- Prepare the system as recommended by DPDK suite. This includes environment
variables, hugepages configuration, tool-chains and configuration
- Insert vfio-pci kernel module using the command 'modprobe vfio-pci' if the
@@ -331,9 +337,8 @@ Prerequisites
- DPDK suite should be configured based on the user's decision to use VFIO or
- If the vNIC device(s) to be used is bound to the kernel mode Ethernet driver
- (enic), use 'ifconfig' to bring the interface down. The dpdk-devbind.py tool
- can then be used to unbind the device's bus id from the enic kernel mode
+ use 'ifconfig' to bring the interface down. The dpdk-devbind.py tool can
+ then be used to unbind the device's bus id from the ENIC kernel mode driver.
- Bind the intended vNIC to vfio-pci in case the user wants ENIC PMD to use
VFIO framework using dpdk-devbind.py.
- Bind the intended vNIC to igb_uio in case the user wants ENIC PMD to use
@@ -364,10 +369,12 @@ libraries and the initialization time of the application.
Any questions or bugs should be reported to DPDK community and to the ENIC PMD
More information about the dev