[dpdk-dev] Announcement of SSE requirement change in dpdk

Jay Rolette rolette at infinite.io
Fri Aug 11 23:18:29 CEST 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Bruce Richardson <
bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:21:32PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > Can anyone point out to me when and where the change to require SSE4.2
> was
> > dicussed?  The first I saw of it was when the commit to the release
> notes went
> > in on August 3, and I can find no prior mention of it, save for the
> patches that
> > went in separately in the prior weeks.
> >
> > Neil
> >
> There was no real widespread discussion of it, if that's what you are
> looking for. I made the proposal via patch, and it was reviewed and
> acked by a number of folks, with nobody raising any objections at the
> time. Possibly it was a change that should have been more widely
> publicised ahead of time, but I'm not sure what form that publicization
> should have taken, since all tech discussion happens on the dev mailing
> list anyway.
> Not that I'm planning any similar changes, but for the future, what do
> you think the process for changes like this should be - and what changes
> would classify for it? If we have a process problem, let's try and fix
> it.
>
> Regards,
> /Bruce.

I'd suggest removing support for any hardware (CPUs or NICs) should require
a much "louder" announcement.

This particular one didn't hit my company, but when you have hardware out
in the field that you are expected to provide on-going software updates
for, these sort of changes are painful. The LTS tree helps considerably
with this, but definitely deserves more publicity than usual.

$0.02
Jay