[dpdk-dev] Unable to run test_pmd_perf

gowrishankar muthukrishnan gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 2 10:58:45 CET 2017

On Monday 30 January 2017 06:16 PM, Priyanka wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have VMs on a physical server  with both VMs having 1 core 7 GB RAM
> with DPDK 16.04. The VMs are communicating using SR-IOV (per VM 1 VF
> is assigned). We thought of running the test_pmd_perf to test the
> number of cycles taken for RX/TX. But we are unable to get it working.
> Even if we assign 4 VCPUs to the VM the app says "*no avail lcore to
> test*."  The command we are using are:

As far as I trail its origin in source, alloc_lcore() errors out in a
situation when you do not have those lcores mentioned in -c or -l to app
which are from socket where your ports are actually attached. You can
print out target socket through te_eth_dev_socket_id(port_id).
You need to pass one lcore atleast from this socket, instead of socket 0
(which is case by default for lcores 0xf).

Use lscpu and find out what lcores you can pass from target socket id.

Thanks,
Gowrishankar