[dpdk-dev] Hotplug support for VFIO

Alejandro Lucero alejandro.lucero at netronome.com
Wed Feb 8 16:43:13 CET 2017

Hi Eelco,

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Eelco Chaudron <echaudron at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Anatoly,
>
> This will be great... If you want I can do some testing on (early) patches
> if required.
>
> Also do you know why it is currently not supported, i.e. what are the
> limitations?
>
> Thanks,

I assume your reply was to my previous email and not to Anatoly's one. My
apologies if this assumption is wrong.
By the way, you did not reply to the list, but I'm doing to do so because
this could be interesting to other people. Also, I'm CCing hotplug UIO
developer, Tetsuya Mukawa, since there is no a specific maintainer for this
functionality.

I think the main problem for supporting VFIO hotplug is to deal with what
VFIO does, this is IOMMU mappings.
There is no code for doing so, and although the implementation would use
most of the code already there for UIO hotplug, which is basically related
to unmapping PCI resources, and the interrupt part will be likely quite
similar, the IOMMU unmapping requires more work.

I dare to say this is the main reason for not having VFIO hotplug support
right now. Maybe Tetsuya can confirm this or give us other reasons.