[dpdk-dev] i40e queues per VF

Wu, Jingjing jingjing.wu at intel.com
Thu Feb 16 14:58:39 CET 2017

This number is used as initialization time to allocate queue number
for PF/VF for HW's queue pool. Will add more description in i40e.rst.

> I feel these are hard limits and should be some constants in the code, not some
> build configuration options.
>
> The other doc to look at is:
> http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/intel_vf.html#intel-fortville-10-40-gigabit-
> ethernet-controller-vf-infrastructure
> "
> Each VF can have a maximum of 16 queue pairs.
> "
>
> Do we agree that a queue pair is 1 Rx queue / 1 Tx queue?
> Note: the concept of queue pairs in Intel VF should be explained somewhere.

Yes.
> Below, a different limitation is given:
> "
> The available queue number(at most 4) per VF depends on the total number of
> pool, which is determined by the max number of VF at PF initialization stage and
> the number of queue specified in config "

I think there may be some inconsistent description in  doc intel_vf.rst due to
Multiple kinds of NICs. We should correct them.
Thanks for pointing that.

> So what is the real maximum of queue pairs? 4 or 16?
> The datasheet talks about 16 queues. Is it 8 pairs?

That's is 16 queue pairs. 16 RX queues and 16 Tx queues.

> Is there something to configure the number of queues when creating VF with the
> kernel driver?

In kernel driver, it seems at most only 4 queues are supported. That's
Why we add  build-time config option to make more queues are possible.

Thanks
Jingjing