[dpdk-dev] rte_sched library performance question

Dumitrescu, Cristian cristian.dumitrescu at intel.com
Thu Feb 16 20:08:05 CET 2017

Hi Zoltan,

Looks to me like the scheduler dequeue burst is equal to the enqueue burst size of FLUSH_SIZE, right?
In this case, you are always dequeueuing the exact packets that you just enqueued, and the scheduler dequeue needs to work really hard to find exactly those FLUSH_SIZE queues that each one have a single packet at this point.

This is wht the enqueue burst size should be bigger than the dequeue burst size. Basically, you add some water into the reservoir up to a reasonable fill level before you start pouring it in your glass if you want to fill the glass quickly.

Typical values used:
-for vector PMD: (enqueue = 32, dequeue = 24), (32, 28), (32, 16), etc
-for scalar PMD: (64, 48), (64, 32), ... We used (256, 248) for VPP

Regards,
Cristian