[dpdk-dev] 17.05 Roadmap

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Jan 13 12:53:18 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:24:01AM +0000, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> Below are the features that we're planning to submit for the 17.05 release. We'll submit a patch to update the roadmap page with this info.
>
> It would be good if others are also willing to share their plans so that we can build up a complete picture of what's planned for 17.05 and make sure there's no duplication.
>

> Cryptodev DES SW PMD: A PMD will be added which implements an optimized software version of the DES algorithm.
>
> Cryptodev DOCSIS BPI+: The cryptodev API will be enhanced to enable processing of packets according to the Baseline Privacy Interface Plus (BPI+) specification described in the Data-over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Security Specification (http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/specdocs/CM-SP-SECv3.1-I06-160602.pdf). See the RFC (http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-December/052433.html) for further details. Support will be added to the QAT PMD for AES and DES, to the new software PMD for DES (see previous item), and to the existing AESNI_MB PMD.
>
> Cryptodev Scheduler: This allows packets to be encrypted/decrypted in either SW or HW depending on packet size and HW utilization. Reordering will be supported so that packet order can be preserved.
>
> Ethernet 32-bit CRC Generation: An optimized x86 library for CRC-32 will be added. A CRC may need to be generated for a downstream frame by the DOCSIS MAC layer because the CRC may be removed by the NIC or the frame may be modified by the MAC for PHS (packet header suppression).
>
> API to Configure Programmable Devices: More devices are now supporting programmable components, for example the Pipeline Personalization Profiles in I40E. An API will be added to allow any programmable device to be configured.
>
> I40E Hardware QoS: Hardware QoS will be supported on the I40E. This will include Tx bandwidth control (min and max), and Rx Traffic Class assignment.
>
> Configurable Tunnel Filters for I40E: DPDK support will be added for a new I40E admin queue which allows configuration of filter types for cloud filters.
>
> Enable MPLS on I40E: MPLSoUDP and MPLSoGRE will be supported for I40E, including the new protocols and filtering (RSS and Flow Director), checksum offload and packet type recognition.
>
> Software Eventdev Implementation: The libeventdev API is being added in 17.02 (http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-December/052877.html). A software implementation of this API will be added.

Just a minor clarification based on my understanding and following some
discussion with Thomas.

The eventdev API is being added to the next-eventdev tree, not the main
tree for 17.02, as it is not useful without an implementation to back it
up. As well as that, once implementations are produced by multiple
vendors we may see the APIs evolve slightly.
Therefore, it's only in 17.05 that we are going to see the eventdev API
in the mainline, along with at least one - but hopefully more -
implementations backing it up.

Regards,
/Bruce