[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/9] get Rx and Tx used descriptors

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Tue Jan 17 09:24:10 CET 2017

Hi,

Thanks Bruce for the comments.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:32:38 +0000, "Richardson, Bruce"
<bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
> [...]

Agree

> For RX, strictly speaking, we should have three categories, rather
> than trying to work it into 2. I don't see why we can't report a slot
> as used/unused/unavailable.

With the rte_eth_rx_queue_count() API, we don't have this opportunity
since it just returns an int.

Something I found a bit strange when doing this patchset is that the
user does not have the full control of the number of hold buffers. With
default parameters, the effective size of a ring of 128 is 64.

So it is, we could introduce an API to retrieve the status:
used/unused/unavailable.

> > Any comment about the method (binary search to find the used
> > descriptors)?
>
> I think binary search should work ok, though linear search may work
> better for smaller ranges as we can prefetch ahead since we know what
> we will check next. Linear can also go backward only if we want
> accuracy (going forward risks having race conditions between read and
> NIC write). Overall, though I think binary search should work well
> enough.
>

> > I'm also wondering about adding rte_eth_tx_descriptor_done() in the
> > API at the same time.
> >

> Let me switch the question around - do we need the queue_count APIs at
> all, and is it not more efficient to just supply the
> descriptor_done() APIs? If an app wants to know the use of the ring,
> and take some action based on it, that app is going to have one or
> more thresholds for taking the action, right? In that case, rather
> than scanning descriptors to find the absolute number of free/used
> descriptors, it would be more efficient for the app to just check the
> descriptor on the threshold - and take action based just on that
> value.

Yes, I reached the same conclusion (...after posting the RFC patchset
unfortunatly).

> Any app that really does need the absolute value of the ring
> capacity can presumably do its own binary search or linear search to
> determine the value itself. However, I think just doing a done
> function should encourage people to use the more efficient solution
> of just checking the minimum number of descriptors needed.

The question is: now that the work is done, is there any application
that would require this absolute values? For instance, monitoring.

If not, I have no problem to the patchset, I just need to validate my
application with a descriptor_done() API. In this case we can also
deprecate rx_queue_count() and tx_queue_count().

The rte_eth_rx_descriptor_done() function could be updated into:

/**
 * Check the status of a RX descriptor in the queue.
 *
 * @param port_id
 *  The port identifier of the Ethernet device.
 * @param queue_id
 *  The queue id on the specific port.
 * @param offset
 *  The offset of the descriptor ID from tail (0 is the next packet to
 *  be received by the driver).
 *  - (2) Descriptor is unavailable (hold by driver, not yet returned to hw)
 *  - (1) Descriptor is done (filled by hw, but not processed by the driver,
 *        i.e. in the receive queue)
 *  - (0) Descriptor is available for the hardware to receive a packet.
 *  - (-ENODEV) if *port_id* invalid.
 *  - (-ENOTSUP) if the device does not support this function
 */
 static inline int rte_eth_rx_descriptor_done(uint8_t port_id,
 	uint16_t queue_id, uint16_t offset)

A similar rte_eth_tx_descriptor_done() would be introduced:

/**
 * Check the status of a TX descriptor in the queue.
 *
 * @param port_id
 *  The port identifier of the Ethernet device.
 * @param queue_id
 *  The queue id on the specific port.
 * @param offset
 *  The offset of the descriptor ID from tail (0 is the place where the next
 *  packet will be send).
 *  - (1) Descriptor is beeing processed by the hw, i.e. in the transmit queue
 *  - (0) Descriptor is available for the driver to send a packet.
 *  - (-ENODEV) if *port_id* invalid.
 *  - (-ENOTSUP) if the device does not support this function
 */
 static inline int rte_eth_tx_descriptor_done(uint8_t port_id,
 	uint16_t queue_id, uint16_t offset)

An alternative would be to rename these functions in descriptor_status()
instead of descriptor_done().

Regards,
Olivier