[dpdk-dev] NXP DPAA2: Symbol renaming issue: Request for Suggestions

Shreyansh Jain shreyansh.jain at nxp.com
Wed Jan 25 12:35:30 CET 2017

Hello Ferruh,

On Tuesday 24 January 2017 09:54 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> [...]
>>                  +----.--------------------.-----+
>>                       |                    |
>>                  +----'------+       +-----'-----+
>>     drivers/---->|   DPIO    |       |   DPIO    |<---drivers/bus/fslmc
>>      bus/fslmc   +----.------+       +------.----+
>>                       |                     |
>>                  +----/-||--------------||--/----+
>>                  |   Queue/Buffer Manager        |<--- drivers/common/dpaa2
>>                  +----\-||--------------||--\----+      qbman
>>                       |                     |
>>                  +----'------+       +------'----+
>>     drivers/ --->|   DPNI    |       |   DPSEC   |<---drivers/cyrpto
>>      net/dpaa2   +----|------+       +-----|-----+     dpaa2_sec
>>                       |                    |
>>                  +----|------+      +------|-----+       +----------------+
>>                  | PHY H/W   |      |   SEC H/W  |      .> FSL MC BUS     |
>>                  +-----------+      +------------+     / +----------------+
>>                                                       drivers/bus/fslmc
>>

>> If we consider the above layout, drivers/crypto/dpaa_sec (NXP's DPAA2 Crypto
>> PMD, already available on ML [2]), and drivers/net/dpaa2 (NXP's DPAA2 PMD) are
>> using a common code (drivers/common/dpaa2/qbman).
>>
>> QBMAN (drivers/common/dpaa2/qbman) is essentially a Queue and Buffer Manager
>> set of APIs which allow DPIO (Data Path IO interfaces) to communicate with the
>> Hardware through queues (and buffers).
>>
>> At the scan time, FSLMC bus is scanned and all devices (Phy or Sec) are
>> identified and added to a list. For each such device, appropriate I/O portals
>> are opened which are essentially gateway between user-space and DP* devices
>> using the hardware queues/buffers (qbman)
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> You might have noticed that we have exposed a lot of symbols from
>> drivers/common and drivers/bus for drivers/net and drivers/crypto. All these
>> symbols are not rte_* as what has been suggested for exported symbols.
>>
>> Review comments have been received for renaming these to make them rte_* or
>> _rte_* prefixed.
>>
>> Just as a side note, these symbols are being exposed _internally_ within
>> drivers/* area.
>>
>> There are (3) possible solutions we have:
>
> What do you think about following:
>
> Create wrappers for DPDK with namespace, and export those for DPDK.
> And in the user side, create macros to convert them back.
>
> sample: [1]
>
> Although this may work, I am not sure this really worth the effort, if
> there is no intended consumer of these API other than dpaa2 code.
>

> [1]
> ======
>
> API .c (no modification):
> int func_foo() {};
> ------
>
> wrapper.c (new file):
> int rte_foo() {	return func_foo(); }
> ------
>
> *version.map:
> 	rte_foo;
> ------
>
> user dpdk_macro.h (new file):
> #define func_foo rte_foo
> ------
>
> user.c (no modification except include):

I too considered this option (1/ below). But, this is an unclean
approach. Adding wrappers around functions is going to performance
impact considering that all the code in this library is datapath.

Besides, it means we need to maintain our APIs across internal changes
(though, API changes are not frequent, I agree).

Another option being what Thomas suggested - to keep the library
external to DPDK. That is better than this but would impact ease of use.
(And I do remember some comments on ML about external libraries not
being preferred.)

But, thanks for your suggestion. I need to figure out something.