[dpdk-dev] technical board meeting minutes 2017-01-25

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Jan 27 09:10:07 CET 2017

2017-01-26 23:14, St Leger, Jim:
> It can be decided to remove a member if there is an approval of 2/3 of the whole technical board.
> It can be decided either to replace the member, or to redefine the size of the board.
>
> > [<JSL>>] Did you decide how the discussion or topic to remove a board member ever even comes up to begin with?
> > [<JSL>>] For example, does someone propose "I think we should remove so-and-so from the TSC/TechBoard" and then the board votes?
> > I think this step will be very rare (maybe never), but it's important to know how/when the removal process can be initiated and if limited by who? (e.g. can anyone in the community suggest to remove someone? Can only TechBoard/TSC members suggest to remove someone? What board member behavior would justify removal?)

The global idea of the technical board is to discuss and answer to the
questions asked by anyone.
So yes, anyone can suggest the removal of any member of the technical board.
We will write the process on the website.

> We have chosen (with global consensus) 3 new members to join the technical board.
> They will be announced soon when we will have their agreement.
> The new board will probably count 9 members.
>
> > [<JSL>>] What is the delay in announcing the new members?

Is it so important to have a formal delay?
We just need to get an agreement from the new members,
and sometimes (as today) people may be in holidays.

> [<JSL>>] Not to be flippant, but the LF governance discussion and especially budget includes line items for funding events such as DPDK Summit Userspace. But if we can't get a point of agreement on the budget, get to an agreement on membership fees, and recruit enough member companies to the project, then future events will be dependent on our ability to raise sponsorship funds across the community.  Efforts to do this in the past have only shown support from Intel, Red Hat, and Cisco. No other company has yet agreed to help financially sponsor any of the Summit events.

Got it.

> * Should we have regular meetings?
> We do not want to spend too many time in meetings.
> However a short meeting (less than a hour) every two weeks may be relevant.
>
> [<JSL>>] I assume you are referring solely to the TechBoard/TSC meeting.

Yes, this whole discussion is only about the technical board.

> * Should we organize regular public IRC meetings?
> It does not scale to have too many participants in a meeting.
> In order to keep meetings short, they will be private.
> Everybody can discuss on the mailing list.
>
> [<JSL>>] Are you referring to TSC/TechBoard meetings here too? Or are you referring to regular community calls?
> If community calls, I disagree and believe there should be a regular community project call to discuss any/all issues.  Items that go back and forth many times on the mailing list could be resolved in a community call with verbal discussion in just a few minutes. Other key topics such as RFCs and others could also be discussed to help drive better resource alignment and priorities for the community.  There are many benefits of a DPDK Project weekly community call, though some meetings might be quite short while others longer (but all less than an hour.)

We were talking about technical board meetings.
The community calls are different things.