[dpdk-dev] rte_eth_from_rings

Sridhar Pitchai sridhar.pitchai at outlook.com
Fri Jan 27 23:31:52 CET 2017

Thanks Bruce.

I have created eth_dev from the rings as below.
rt = rte_eth_from_rings(port_p->name,
             (struct rte_ring * const*)port_p->rx_ring_p, 2,
                            (struct rte_ring * const*)port_p->tx_ring_p, 2,
                            rte_socket_id());

Lets say I have a call back something like

        pkt_rx(void * pkt_p, struct pkt_metadata_t *meta_p)

which is called when there is a pkt at the chip.
inside this function(pkt_rx) i will find the port and the corresponding ring_p and
enqueue the pkt into the queue. I am assuming this should work. Kindly correct me if i misunderstood you.

question 2:
Can use this eth_dev to create KNI interface, like below.
rte_eth_dev_info_get(fp_p->port_list[port].key.port_id, &dev_info);
;
;
;
ops.port_id = fp_p->port_list[port].key.port_id;  // rt from rte_eth_from_rings(...)
                ops.change_mtu = _kni_ifconfig_mtu; // static function
                ops.config_network_if = _kni_ifconfig; // static functions
PORT(fp_p, port).kni_p = rte_kni_alloc(PORT(fp_p, port).mbuf_p,
                                                                &conf, &ops);

I am assuming this should work as well. I find the netdevs created but when i try to configure
them i am facing the following error.

root@ VM snaproute/softpath (master) >ifconfig PORT_8
PORT_8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr be:35:c3:0f:f8:2f
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

root@ VM snaproute/softpath (master) >ifconfig PORT_8 20.1.1.1/24 up