[dpdk-dev] Issue with TX of Jumbo frames on 10G interfaces ONLY

Yeddula, Avinash ayeddula at ciena.com
Fri Jul 14 07:38:45 CEST 2017

Hi All,

In order to support Jumbo frames for our application, I made the below changes. The intention, here is to use "linked-mbufs instead of using 1 single 9k MBUF".

With the below changes, I'm able to send/receive  9k size frames on 1G interfaces successfully.  No issues what so ever with  1G interfaces.
But, when it comes to 10G interfaces, I confirmed my app writes a jumbo frame on to the port  "rte_eth_tx_burst", but that frame "never" showed up on the  other end, it got lost somewhere inside  this API "rte_eth_tx_burst" .

I do not see any type of "tx" stats ticked. Thought will check with the you folks, before I dig inside "rte_eth_tx_burst" API.
Is there any configs I'm missing for TX port, please comment ?

This is the driver I use for "net_ixgbe" for my 10G interface.

      // local port config structure for initialization, code below may modify
      struct rte_eth_conf port_conf = {
         .rxmode = {
            .split_hdr_size = 0,
            .header_split   = 0,           /**< Header Split disabled */
            .hw_ip_checksum = 0,           /**< IP checksum offload disabled */
            .hw_vlan_filter = 0,           /**< VLAN filtering disabled */
            .jumbo_frame    = 1,           /**< Jumbo Frame Support always enabled */
            .max_rx_pkt_len = 9216, /**< If jumbo_frame is enabled then max_rx_pkt_len must be set */
            .hw_strip_crc   = 0,           /**< CRC stripped by hardware */
         },
         .txmode = {
            .mq_mode = ETH_MQ_TX_NONE,
         },