[dpdk-dev] dpdk startup cannot send/recv packet in first serveral seconds

wenxu wenx05124561 at 163.com
Tue Jul 18 08:08:07 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I just test ovs-dpdk with restart. I found when the dpdk start the PHYSICAL NIC can't send/recv packet

I have a vhostuserclient port and dpdk port(82599EB) bridge with br0

It spends 1.4s I restart the ovs-vswitchd.
1.  I send icmp packet(1 packet/second) from virtual machine to outside the host, there are 7 packets lost.
2.  If I send packet to the br0 there are only 2 packets lost(the restart reason).

For the first case the other 5 packets. The datapath flow also forward to dpdk port, The dpdk port no dropped counter and have 5 tx counter.
I debug in the ovs-dpdk , the packet have been sent through port and return zero(with no dropped), I think it's a problem of dpdk startup

Then I setup a own dpdk program when I start the program.  I also can't send/recv packet in the first 5 seconds when it startup.

Is there some restriction for dpdk startup to send/recv packet on PHYSICAL NIC immediately?

BR
wenxu