[dpdk-dev] [RFC] proposal of allowing personal/project repos on DPDK.org

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Mon Jun 5 09:47:14 CEST 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:37:58 -0700, Stephen Hemminger
<stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 18:37:40 +0000
> "Dumitrescu, Cristian" <cristian.dumitrescu at intel.com> wrote:
>
> > > Why? Do you need to host a repo on dpdk.org to try a new idea?
> > >

> > Prototyping new DPDK-related ideas and sharing them with DPDK
> > community, with some of them likely to eventually make their way
> > into DPDK once accepted and mature enough.
> >

> > > I am against adding some user repos in this list:
> > > 	http://dpdk.org/browse/
> > > I think the list of official repos must be kept light for good
> > > visibility.
> >
> > We could have a single project called sandbox mentioned in this
> > list; whoever interested, needs to drill down into this one?
> > >
> > > But we can imagine a forge for users at a different location like
> > > 	http://dpdk.org/users/
> > > However why not using another public forge for this need?
> >
> > Easier to share DPDK related ideas on dpdk.org rather than other
> > places.
>
> Let's not distract Thomas and others with lots of effort to run
> servers. Having dpdk.org be the server for development and stable
> should be more than enough.
>
> Running a secure server for user repositories is hard. If you want an
> example, look follow some of the two factor auth stuff being done at
> kernel.org.
>
> Another option would be to have an official clone of dpdk.org on
> github and let users do what they need to there. This keeps project
> out of the forge business.

+1

I'm not convinced about why having those repos hosted at a place or
another would help to share ideas. It will generates a long list of
obsolete directories. For instance, in my opinon, the repo list on
kernel.org brings more noise than useful info: https://git.kernel.org/

As Stephen said, administrating these new repos/ml/patchwork/... would
imply a maintenance work (Thomas), knowing there are plenty other ways
to have a public git repo.

Instead, what about adding a link on dpdk.org website that would point
to a place for dpdk.org related projects on github/gitlab/...
This could be either to a public forge, or to a dedicated server
administrated by people that needs this feature, avoiding another work
load for Thomas ;)

Olivier