[dpdk-dev] How to get "--base-virtaddr" when using DPDK

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Jun 16 10:54:45 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:00:16PM -0600, Junguk Cho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same situation which is explained here (
> https://github.com/collectd/collectd/issues/2284).
>
> So, I would like to try "--base-virtaddr" option.
> I tried to use "struct rte_memseg *m = rte_eal_get_physmem_layout()" option
> based on (http://dpdk.org/doc/api/structrte__memseg.html).
> However, it always  returns different number.
>
> How do I get virtual address value to use it as an input of "base-viraddr"?

Hi,

there is no one way to get a virtual address to pass in here - if you
are aware of some suitable values just pass them directly. What I have
done in the past in a multi-process system, is to run the primary
normaly, and then when running the failing secondary turn up the log
level so I can see the mapped addresses before it fails. Then I record
the starting address that the secondary uses, and re-run the primary
passing that in as the base-virtaddr hint.

Regards,
/Bruce