[dpdk-dev] [RFC] eventdev: add event adapter for ethernet Rx queues

Jerin Jacob jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com
Mon Jun 19 12:05:22 CEST 2017

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:00:22 +0530
> From: "Rao, Nikhil" <nikhil.rao at intel.com>
> To: Jerin Jacob <jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com>, Gage Eads
>  <gage.eads at intel.com>
> CC: dev at dpdk.org, thomas at monjalon.net, bruce.richardson at intel.com,
>  harry.van.haaren at intel.com, hemant.agrawal at nxp.com, nipun.gupta at nxp.com,
>  narender.vangati at intel.com, nikhil.rao at intel.com
> Subject: Re: [RFC] eventdev: add event adapter for ethernet Rx queues
>
> Hi Jerin,

Hi Nikhil,

> Comments inline.
>
> Also, another function needed is
> bool rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_multithread_capable(void).
>
> This would be used to set the "multithread_capable" service core
> configuration parameter.

OK.

I was thinking like, in order to effectively use adapter scheme, it should
use ops scheme like rte_flow or rte_tm[1] where the same API can be
can be used for both HW and SW. If we see, Both RFC[2], We have a lot of
similarities. I think, We can base the eth_rx_adapter model based on your SW
requirement RFC and introduce capability wherever it is not applicable for HW or
vice versa.

See below as a example[3]. Can you take of the same in v1 of this
series? if you don't have the bandwidth then I can try. Let me know.
Thoughts?

[1]
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/25275/
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/25276/

[2]
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-May/065341.html

/* adapter has inbuilt port, no need to create producer port */
#define RTE_EVENT_ETHDEV_CAP_INBUILT_PORT  (1ULL << 0)
/* adapter does not need service function */
#define RTE_EVENT_ETHDEV_CAP_NO_SERVICE_FUNC (1ULL << 1)

struct rte_event_eth_rx_adap_info {
	char name[32];
        uint32_t adapter_cap;
        /**< Ethdev RX adapter capabilities(RTE_EVENT_ETHDEV_CAP_)*/
}

struct rte_event_eth_rx_adap_cfg {
	uint8_t rx_event_port_id;
       /**< Event port identifier, the adapter enqueues mbuf events to this
        * port, Ignored when RTE_EVENT_ETHDEV_CAP_INBUILT_PORT
        */

}

struct rte_eth_rx_event_adapter_queue_config {
       uint32_t rx_queue_flags;
        /**< Flags for handling received packets */
       uint16_t servicing_weight;
       /**< Relative polling frequency of ethernet receive queue, if this
        * is set to zero, the Rx queue is interrupt driven
        * Ignored if RTE_EVENT_ETHDEV_CAP_NO_SERVICE_FUNC set
        */
       struct rte_event ev;
       /**<
        *  The values from the following event fields will be used when
        *  enqueuing mbuf events:
        *   - event_queue_id: Targeted event queue ID for received packets.
        *   - event_priority: Event priority of packets from this Rx queue in
        *                     the event queue relative to other events.
        *   - sched_type: Scheduling type for packets from this Rx queue.
        *   - flow_id: If the RTE_ETH_RX_EVENT_ADAPTER_QUEUE_FLOW_ID_VALID bit
        *               is set in rx_queue_flags, this flow_id is used for all
        *               packets received from this queue. Otherwise the flow ID
        *               is set to the RSS hash.
        */
};

int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_create(uint8_t id, uint8_t dev_id, uint8_t eth_port_id);
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_get_info(uint8_t id, struct rte_event_eth_rx_adap_info *info);
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_configure(uint8_t id, struct rte_event_eth_rx_adap_config *cfg);
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_queue_add(uint8_t id, int32_t rx_queue_id, const struct rte_eth_rx_event_adapter_queue_config *config);
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_queue_del(uint8_t id, int32_t rx_queue_id)
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_run();
int rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_free(uint8_t id);