[dpdk-dev] [Qemu-devel] Will huge page have negative effect on guest vm in qemu enviroment?

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 21:16:02 CEST 2017

* Sam (batmanustc at gmail.com) wrote:
> Thank you~
>
> 1. We have a compare test on qemu-kvm enviroment with huge page and without
> huge page. Qemu start process is much longer in huge page enviromwnt. And I
> write an email titled with '[DPDK-memory] how qemu waste such long time
> under dpdk huge page envriment?'. I could resend it later.

> 2. Then I have another test on qemu-kvm enviroment with huge page and
> without huge page, which I didn't start ovs-dpdk and vhostuser port in qemu
> start process. And I found Qemu start process is also much longer in huge
> page enviroment.
>
> So I think huge page enviroment, which grub2.cfg file is specified in
> ‘[DPDK-memory]
> how qemu waste such long time under dpdk huge page envriment?’, will really
> have negative effect on qemu start up process.
>
> That's why we don't like to use ovs-dpdk. Althrough ovs-dpdk is faster, but
> the start up process of qemu is much longer then normal ovs, and the reason
> is nothing with ovs but huge page. For customers, vm start up time is
> important then network speed.

How are you setting up hugepages?  What values are you putting in the
various /proc or cmdline options and how are you specifying them on
QEMU's commandline.

I think one problem is that with hugepages qemu normally allocates them
all at the start;  I think there are cases where that means moving a lot
of memory about, especially if you lock it to particular NUMA nodes.

> BTW, ovs-dpdk start up process is also longer then normal ovs. But I know
> the reason, it's dpdk EAL init process with forking big continous memory
> and zero this memory. For qemu, I don't know why, as there is no log to

I suspect it's the mmaping and madvising of those hugepages - you should
be able to see it with an strace of a qemu startup, or perhaps a
'perf top'  on the host as it's in that pause.

I'm told that hugepages are supposed to be especially useful with IOMMU
performance for cards passed through to the guest, so it might still
be worth doing.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK