[dpdk-dev] [PATCH v8 0/3] new API to free consumed buffers in Tx ring
bmcfall at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 19:55:52 CET 2017
See request from 11/21/2016:
Add a new API to free consumed buffers on TX ring. This addresses two
1) Flooding a packet and want to reuse existing mbuf to avoid a packet
copy. Increment the reference count of the packet and poll new API until
reference count is decremented.
2) Application runs out of mbufs, or resets and is preparing for
additional run, call API to free consumed packets so processing can
API will return the number of packets freed (0-n) or error code if
feature not supported (-ENOTSUP) or input invalid (-ENODEV).
API for e1000 igb driver and vHost driver have been implemented. Other
drivers can be implemented over time. Some drivers implement a Tx done
flush routine that should be reused where possible. e1000 igb driver
and vHost driver do not have such functions.
* Removed rte_eth_tx_buffer_flush() call and associated parameters
from new rte_eth_tx_done_cleanup() API.
* Remaining open issue is whether this should be a new API or overload
existing rte_eth_tx_buffer() API with input parameter nb_pkts set to
0. My concern is that overloading existing API will not provided
enough feedback to application. Application needs to know if feature
is supported and driver is attempting to free mbufs or not.
* If new API is supported, second open issue is if parameter free_cnt
should be included. It was in the original feature request.
* Removed extra white space in rte_ethdev.h.
* Removed inline of new API function in rte_ethdev.h.
* Added new API to documentation of per nic supported features.
* Added documentation to the Programmer's Guide.
* Rebase to master.
* Added Release Note.
* Addressed comments on documentation to the Programmer's Guide.
* Renamed feature string to "Free Tx mbuf on demand" and modified
feature string processing code to extend the maximum string length
from 20 characters to 25 characters.
* Reworded the commit log for PATCH 2/3 to attempt to clearify that the
API is independent of tx_rs_thresh.
* Will address the rte_errno comment in a separate merge.
* New API was located between rte_eth_tx_buffer and
rte_eth_tx_buffer_set_err_callback in the file. Moved this function
below the tx_buffer functions.
* Added previous acked-by tags to merge comments.
* Moved documentation content from the mempool documentation to the
* Update Program's Guide documentation per patch comments.
Acked-by: Keith Wiles <Keith.Wiles at intel.com>
Billy McFall (3):
ethdev: new API to free consumed buffers in Tx ring
net/e1000: e1000 igb support to free consumed buffers
net/vhost: vHost support to free consumed buffers
doc/guides/conf.py | 7 +-
doc/guides/nics/features/default.ini | 4 +-
doc/guides/nics/features/e1000.ini | 1 +
doc/guides/nics/features/vhost.ini | 1 +
doc/guides/prog_guide/poll_mode_drv.rst | 33 +++++++++
doc/guides/rel_notes/release_17_05.rst | 6 ++
drivers/net/e1000/e1000_ethdev.h | 2 +
drivers/net/e1000/igb_ethdev.c | 1 +
drivers/net/e1000/igb_rxtx.c | 126 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/net/vhost/rte_eth_vhost.c | 11 +++
lib/librte_ether/rte_ethdev.c | 14 ++++
lib/librte_ether/rte_ethdev.h | 31 ++++++++
12 files changed, 234 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
More information about the dev