[dpdk-dev] IXBGE VF: link state detection

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Wed May 24 15:26:47 CEST 2017

Hi Gregory,

On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:50:19 +0300, Gregory Etelson <gregory at weka.io> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my tests DPDK-17.05.0 process queries link state with rte_eth_link_get() each 50 msec
> during 5-20 MB/sec IOs flow.
> I turn Ethernet switch port down and up and check IXGBE VF PMD reaction to link state changes.
> VF PMD correctly recognize link down events but may miss link up.
> When the fault occurs, subsequent calls to rte_eth_link_get will return link_status == 0 forever.
> I need to reset DPDK process to get correct link state value.
> My debugging shows that in case of the fault, mbx->ops.read(hw, &in_msg, 1, 0) in ixgbe_check_mac_link_vf
> keeps returning non-zero value

It looks there is at least one issue with
commit c12d22f65b13 ("net/ixgbe: ensure link status is updated")

Someone already complained about a problem related to the link status
on ixgbe (which is probably different than yours):
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-May/066238.html

Anyway, maybe you can try to revert this patch and see if it
solves your issue?

Thanks
Olivier